Tuesday, January 25, 2011

What I Ate: Day 1

After a ridiculously intense post like this morning’s, let’s finish off the night with a practical application of what we’ve learned.
We’ll use me as an example.
My Stats
Weight:                 137
Body Fat:             22%

Let’s calculate my BMR based on the steps from the earlier post:

Step 1:  137 lbs/2.2 = 62 kg

Step 2:   Based on the equation in from the earlier page, the equation for me is 62 x 0.9 x 24 = 1339 calories.

Step 3:  I found my lean factor from the table in Step 3.  My lean factor is 0.95, so,
          
Step 4:  1339 calories x 0.95 = 1272 calories

So, if I got to lie around and live out my Dream Day, I'd have a "The Thomas Crown Affair" and "Amelie" movie marathon and burn 1272 calories.  However, since two small people don't let me do that, I’ve got a little more math to do if I want to figure out my actual daily caloric expenditure.

Step 5:  After examining my daily activities (Stroller Fitness or working out at the gym, playing with kids, housework), I’ve determined that my activity factor is 1.65.  So,

Step 6:  1272 calories x 1.65 = 2099 calories

There we go.  My daily caloric requirement is about 2100 calories.  However, that number makes no sense if I don’t put it in the context of macronutrients (fats, carbohydrates, and protein) in food.

Remember the optimum proportion of fats, protein, and carbohydrates is:

1/6 of calories from fat
2/6 of calories from protein
3/6 of calories from carbohydrates

Let’s figure out where my calories should be coming from:

2100 calories/6 = 350 calories
Fat:  350 calories x 1 = 350 calories from fat
Protein:  350 calories x 2 = 700 calories from protein
Carbohydrates:  350 x 3 = 1050 calories from carbohydrates

Finally, let’s figure out how many grams of each macronutrient I need, based on the following information:

1 gram of fat = 9 calories
1 gram of protein = 4 calories
1 gram of carbohydrates = 4 calories

Fat:  350 calories of fat/9 calories = 39 grams
Protein:  700 calories of protein/4 calories = 175 grams
Carbohydrates:  1050 calories of carbohydrates/4 calories = 263 grams

To sum up this first part, my body requires about 2100 calories a day to do what I do.  I need 39 grams of fat, 175 grams of protein, and 263 grams of carbohydrates to fuel my body.

When I woke up, the scale told me:
I weigh 137 pounds
I have 22% body fat

Here's a note on my diet.  I'm vegetarian and I try to maintain a healthful diet.  I don't usually shop at specialty grocery stores.  Nearly everything I eat can be found at large chain stores.  I try to get creative with my protein sources.  I eat tofu (but not the mushy white blocks).  I usually buy baked, marinated tofu so it's firm (like chicken) and flavorful.  Please bear in mind, if you don't like the idea of tofu, each time you see a soy or tofu product, adapt to your taste with a baked or grilled chicken breast, sliced turkey, tuna, or lean steak.  I do splurge.  But a splurge is a splurge, not a regular occurance.  My weaknesses are ice cream and creme brulee.  And brownies.  Heaven.  I also love chocolate chip cookies.  I'll throw those in the mix every once in a while.  On the whole, I eat fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lowfat dairy, and lean proteins (especially fish!). 

That said, here’s what I ate today:

Breakfast
2 cups of coffee (2 tsp. sugar, 8 oz. milk)
1 cup (cooked) “Coach’s Oats” with ½ sliced banana, 1 tbsp. protein powder, and ½ c. almond milk.
¼ cup blackberries
22 oz. water
Carbohydrates:   87g      Protein: 36.5g                  Fat: 10g

Snack
¾ cup sugar snap peas
2 oz bag of baby carrots
16 oz. water
Carbohydrates: 8g        Protein: 3g         Fat:   0g

Lunch
1 slice Trader Joe’s Middle Eastern flatbread with 2 tbsp. hummus and 1 block of sliced teriyaki flavored tofu (all warmed in the toaster!)
½ cup blueberries
1 c. low-fat cottage cheese w/ 1 tsp. honey
22 oz. water
Carbohydrates:  69g       Protein:   48g      Fat:  11g

Snack
½ apple
1.5 oz cubed jack cheese
1 serving Trader Joe’s Multigrain crackers
16 oz. glass of milk
Carbohydrates:   54g      Protein:   34g      Fat:  25g

Dinner
Teriyaki marinated yellow fin tuna steak (8 oz)
1 cup white rice
1 red bell pepper
1 glass of red wine
Carbohydrates:  93g       Protein:  72g       Fat:  13g

Pre-bed Snack
8 oz. glass vanilla almond milk
Carbohydrates:  16g       Protein:  1g         Fat:  2.5g

How did I do?  Did I stay in the ballpark of my goal?

                                                Ballpark                                Actual
Carbohydrates                          263 g                                    327 g
Protein                                      175 g                                   194.5 g
Fat                                            39 g                                      61.5 g

Clearly, I exceeded all categories!  The cheese was fatty.  The white rice and the glass of wine were all carbs.  The yellow fin was 2 1/2 times a typical serving size, adding approximately 40g of protein.  As promised, I’m on good, but not my best, behavior.  But, I’m not going to fret.  I’m going to continue to make minor modifications to demonstrate the difference that small changes make.

Activity:  I walked briskly for about 2 miles while doing light resistance training and increased cardio work at the Stroller Fitness class I lead.  Around 5 o' clock, the kidlets and I had Dance Party, USA! upstairs and we danced club-style for about 30 minutes.  We were a little sweaty.

Have a great day, and eat well!

No comments: